Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Blog # 10

For this blog about a holiday I read an article about the history of Easter. Easter celebrates the resurrection of Jesus. Something that I found interesting from this article is that it is a celebration converged from three traditions: Pagan, Christian, and Hebrew. Another fact that I found interesting was that to solve the problem of what day Easter should be celebrated on, Constantine called to formation the Council of Nicaea. I remember learning about this in my AP world class but did not know that it played a crucial role in determining the day that Easter should fall on (they ended up agreeing on it being the Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox... whatever that means). I was hoping to find out where all of the stereotypical Easter traditions evolved from, such as the Easter bunny, Easter egg searches, etc. I'm not sure what these symbolize in relation to Christianity because they seem kind of unrelated take the importance off of the reason for celebration.

http://www.theholidayspot.com/easter/history/easter_history.htm

No comments: